-
November 30th, 2002, 10:13 AM
#1
Inactive Member
There's a place in Europe that sells reloadable super8 cartridges and a splitter that cuts 16mm film down the middle. It occurs to me that with these items I could buy a 100 ft roll of K-25 in DS8, split it and load it into the super8 carts. It's a way to experience K-25 while it's still around without having to spring for a DS8 camera. The only thing is that the reloadable carts cost $8 each and I'd hate to lose them after one load. Will the labs send them back if you ask? If not will the labs accept the unprocessed film on 50 ft spools?
You could also repackage DS8 Fomapan for the cheapest super8 film going, $3.75/cart w/o procesing. I don't think Foma comes in S8 carts; does it?
On the other hand maybe these reloadable cartridges are not that reliable. Anybody have any experience with them?
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 30, 2002 06:21 AM: Message edited by: Actor ]</font>
-
November 30th, 2002, 01:37 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Dwaynes will return the cartridges if you ask them. They returned a couple of empty sound carts to me will no problems.
Foma is not sold in S8 cartridges unless Plattsburgh ([email protected]) has made up a batch as he said he was thinking of doing.
-
November 30th, 2002, 01:41 PM
#3
tfunch24
Guest
Will Dwayne's process K-14 DS8 stocks?
Their website just lists Split 8mm, Super 8mm, and 16mm.
Tom
-
November 30th, 2002, 01:47 PM
#4
Inactive Member
As I understand it, Super 8 has entirely different sprocket hole size and spacing from double 8mm (16mm). So you wouldn't be able to find any film to put in the reloadable cassettes (unless you know where to source Super8 film on a roll !!!
-
December 1st, 2002, 06:29 AM
#5
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
Posted by tfunch24
Will Dwayne's process K-14 DS8 stocks?
Their website just lists Split 8mm, Super 8mm, and 16mm.
</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't see why they shouldn't. Both K-25 and K-40 use K-14 processing. If I send it to them in a cartridge it should be business as usual for them. I just want the cartridge back.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
Posted by lightfeat
As I understand it, Super 8 has entirely different sprocket hole size and spacing from double 8mm (16mm). So you wouldn't be able to find any film to put in the reloadable cassettes (unless you know where to source Super8 film on a roll !!!
</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
Double Super8 is like double 8 in that it is 16mm wide, has to be run through the camera twice and has to be split and spliced after processing. But it has super8 size perforations and spacing. What I am proposing is to split it before exposing it and to load it into these reloadable super8 cartridges.
If you don't split DS8 film then I don't know where you would get super8 film for reloading.
-
December 1st, 2002, 11:11 AM
#6
Inactive Member
Dwaynes will process DS8 with no problem. However, their splitter is set up for regular double 8mm film. As such, the larger 100 foot reel of the DS8 won't fit on the splitter, which was designed for the smaller 25 foot regular double 8mm camera reel. If you get Dewaynes to process your double Super 8, then you'll need to buy your own splitter from someone like John Schwin. That's what I ended up doing for my DS8 Scoopic.
Roger
-
December 1st, 2002, 01:42 PM
#7
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Actor:
If you don't split DS8 film then I don't know where you would get super8 film for reloading.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
You can still get the 60m Super 8 spools that are made for the special Beaulieu magazine. Its already split so you just have to cut it into 15m sections. If they would sell it without processing then it might be worthwhile.
www.bavaria-cinehome.de/
-
December 1st, 2002, 03:48 PM
#8
Inactive Member
Wow! What does that thing cost?
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 01, 2002 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Actor ]</font>
-
December 2nd, 2002, 02:22 PM
#9
Inactive Member
Whichever way you go, if you find some DS8, let us know. Especially K25.
Schwind told me I just bought his last two. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks